Home automation has transformed the stuff of science fiction into many homeowners’ realities. This “smart” technology allows residents to control integrated devices and systems in their homes through a phone, tablet, or other internet-connected devices. Among the likes of remote lighting control, keyless entry, and automated security systems, one of the most popular home automation features is the smart thermostat. Learn more about it and seek professional support for any smart thermostat repair or installation.
Folks in Ashburn, VA, can turn to R.A. Dobson for all their interior system maintenance and replacement needs. Our team has served the region since 1975, delivering high-quality services and common-sense solutions. We train our employees to the same degree as our shop managers to ensure all customers receive exceptional value and customer service. For more information or a free project estimate, call (703) 481-3700 or visit our website!
Below, we describe smart thermostats’ functioning, features, and benefits:
How Smart Thermostats Work
While smart thermostats are the most cutting-edge type on the market today, manufacturers also offer non-programmable and programmable thermostats. The former allows users to shut their HVAC system on or off and adjust its temperature manually; the latter grants the ability to create distinct temperature settings for different times and places in their homes.
Smart thermostats build on the capabilities of the other thermostat types by incorporating a computer into their design. Once connected to Wi-Fi, the smart thermostat can be adjusted remotely, generate notifications, and even integrate with other smart home devices.
- Programmable temperature settings: Again, users can pre-set smart thermostats to run at specific temperatures during certain times. For instance, during winter, you can have the heat turn on at the same time you wake up each morning. You can also set the interior temperature low during the workday and raise it automatically when you return home.
- Machine-learning capabilities: These systems can also learn your heating and cooling habits, then anticipate your needs. This capability can save you the necessity of programming your device for every shift in the season. Plus, it optimizes energy use and saves money on your monthly electricity bill.
- Safety features: Linking your thermostat to smart smoke alarms allows the latter to shut off the HVAC system when it triggers. HVAC systems can worsen the severity of house fires by blowing air around, so this setting helps protect your home.
- Voice controls: Depending on the type of thermostat you purchase, your system may respond to voice commands through Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa, or another chatbot. This functionality saves you the trouble of even opening your phone—just call out instead!
- Energy tracking: Compared to all their other functionality, smart thermostats’ energy-tracking capability seems negligible. Yet this feature can help you determine your periods of highest energy use, which can be the focus of your energy-saving strategies.
What Smart Thermostats Can Help Homes Achieve
Given the sheer range of features, a smart thermostat can provide your home with numerous benefits. Programmable temperature settings offer clear energy- and money-saving incentives, but this technology can also lengthen your HVAC system’s lifespan. HVAC units last around 15-20 years, though the decreased usage that smart thermostats facilitate can ensure homeowners receive that timeline and then some.
Furthermore, voice controls make your home automation devices more accessible. Senior loved ones, for instance, might struggle with complicated temperature controls yet have no problem commanding a smart device to adjust a setting. Last but not least, energy tracking capabilities give homeowners increased insight into their carbon footprint and a place to start reducing it.
Thermostat Repair and Maintenance Available Now in Ashburn, VA
Home automation is an exciting frontier for interior design and comfort. Ensure you get the full benefits of its innovations by contacting R.A. Dobson for smart thermostat repair and installation. We can even help defray thermostat costs with our online coupons. Call (703) 481-3700 and learn why Ashburn, VA, residents rely on our expert services for indoor comfort.