Preparing your generator for the winter depends on the type of generator you have. If you do not have a generator and are not sure about your options, it’s best that you contact a professional, such as R.A. Dobson! Professional generator repair specialists have the proper knowledge about weather conditions and the kind of soil you have and will provide better recommendations for your situation.
R.A. Dobson is a heating, air conditioning, and plumbing company in Sterling, VA that is dedicated to keeping residents in the Northern Virginia area comfortable in their homes through each season. For over 40 years, our team has provided the latest heating and AC technology to homeowners at a reasonable price. We offer reliable generator installation and repairs as well as many other services that will help keep your home running efficiently throughout the colder months. Below are a few tips for preparing your generator for the winter.
Check the Battery
Although portable and standby automatic generators have different needs, charging the battery is one of the needs that they have in common. Portable batteries typically need to be charged once every month, even if you have no plans to use the generator for a while. For standby automatic generators, it’s best to refer to your product’s manual. If the battery is too low or dead, you may need to have it replaced as it is less likely for the battery to charge.
Automatic standby generators do not require as much preparation as portable generators, but there are still a few things you should do before the winter weather cracks down:
- Using the proper oil for maintenance
- Be sure to clear any debris from around the generator. If there is too much buildup around the generator, it could potentially overheat.
As the process for preparing your portable generator can get a little bit complicated, it is best to have a licensed professional to ensure proper preparation, as well as any other maintenance that may be required. Just as with standby generators, professionals can determine what type of maintenance your specific generator will require, as well as solutions for any repairs your generator may require.
- Drain all of the fuel in your generator, especially if you are storing your generator for more than a month. Be sure that your generator’s engine has cooled off before starting this process. We recommend starting the generator and running the engine until it stops due to a lack of fuel.
- Drain and/or replace the generator’s original oil with synthetic oil such as 5W-30. We recommend checking your generator’s manual for its specific oil recommendations to be sure.
- Lubricate the piston rings and cylinder bore.
- Clean the generator and be sure to cover it so that it stays warm. If you can put it indoors, it advised that you do so that that your system is kept away from dust and dirt.
Choose R.A. Dobson for All of Your Generator Needs in Northern VA!
With the colder temperatures we are experiencing this season, we can anticipate that this coming winter season may be even colder! Don’t let any power outages add to your list of worries over the holidays. Let a trusted generator installation and repair company in Northern Virginia keep your home strong enough to withstand the weather extremes of the seasons. You can rely on the years of experience R.A. Dobson in Sterling, VA has to take care of all your generator-related needs.
If your generator is in need of repair or replacement, contact us at 703-481-3700 for more information. Don’t wait with winter just around the corner!