Air filters are a significant but often overlooked aspect of your HVAC system. They affect the quality of the air flowing through your home, as well as the long-term integrity of the system itself. Thus, you should know when to have them changed and why it’s necessary. However, if you notice that your HVAC system isn’t functioning at its best, even if you change the filters regularly, consider scheduling a professional HVAC inspection to diagnose the issue.
R.A. Dobson has performed regular HVAC maintenance, inspection, and repair services to customers throughout Sterling, VA, for over 45 years. Our team of experienced and certified experts work hard to provide the solutions you need with the best service possible. If you are experiencing a problem with your system, reach out to our team of seasoned HVAC technicians.
Below, we discuss when you should change your HVAC filters and why it benefits you and your home:
When You Need To Change Your HVAC Filters
Your HVAC system’s air filters are vital to maintaining its lifespan, as well as your home’s indoor air quality. How frequently you change your filters varies on several different factors. These include:
- Home size – Larger homes circulate larger amounts of air, which means the filters may need to be changed more frequently.
- Allergies or medical conditions – If you suffer from severe allergies, asthma, or other respiratory conditions, you may want to consider changing your air filters more often.
- Number of pets – Indoor pets shed and track dirt into your house, so you’ll need to change your air filters more frequently to keep them clear of hair and dander.
In the end, the more variables that create or bring in pollutants into your home, the faster your HVAC’s air filters will trap them and clog up, requiring you to replace them sooner than later.
Generally, an HVAC filter should be replaced every 90 days or less in order to ensure adequate indoor air quality. This of course depends on the factors mentioned above, as well as the quality of air filter you install.
Cheaper fiberglass filters may need frequent replacements within a single month, while more expensive pleated filters can last well within 90 days. Consider the factors and your budget in purchasing the right filter and you’ll receive the best value and benefits from it.
Benefits of Regularly Changing Your Air Filter
Replacing your filters consistently provides you with several benefits that you will benefit from in the long run. Here’s a few of them to consider:
- Consistently High Home Air Quality – Air filters block allergens and pollutants that cause breathing problems and irritation to individuals with sensitive sinuses and lungs. Having good home air quality means you and your family are safer and healthier in your home.
- Greater Energy Efficiency – HVAC systems take up a lot of power in your home, especially during the winter and summer months. Clogged filters make your system work twice as hard to keep your home at the desired temperature. However, regular replacement keeps your system running smoothly and efficiently.
- Longer System Lifespan – Let’s not forget that better efficiency and function means less wear and tear on your HVAC system, ensuring it lasts for years to come.
R.A. Dobson, Inc: Quality HVAC Inspection in Sterling, VA
Along with changing your HVAC filters, your HVAC system should also be regularly serviced. Both actions ensure you and your home benefit from it, experiencing years of clean air and efficient power use. R.A. Dobson is dedicated to providing customers throughout Sterling, VA, with professional HVAC inspection services, as well as plumbing, heating, and additional home appliance installation and repair services. We are a seasoned team of professionals ready and prepared to help you improve your home and keep its various appliances running for years to come. Contact us today at (703) 481-3700 to learn more about our services and get a free HVAC service estimate.